1. How do I apply ONLINE?
Go to the link How to apply?, read the instructions and apply from the link provided in the main page.
2. Can I use one email address to fill multiple application forms?
NO, one email address can be used for only one application form.
3. Why should I choose two examination cities?
Generally, you will be allotted a centre in the examination city of your first choice. Only in cases where it becomes difficult to accommodate you in the examination city of your first choice, your second choice will be considered.
4. My power/internet connection failed during application process, what do I do?
If you have clicked on “Save” during application process, the data you entered up to that time has been stored online. Simply login back to the GATE application website and continue the application process.
5. You are asking only the SC/ST/PD candidates to enclose the category certificate. What about the OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates? Do they have to enclose the category certificate too?
NO. OBC (non-creamy layer) candidates do not have to enclose the category certificate since their application fee is same as that of the general category candidates. However, in the application, you can indicate the category to which you belong to. You need to produce the category certificate only to the admitting institute at the time of admission.
6. How do I make the fee payment for GATE 2013 examination?
You can make the payment during the ONLINE application process by choosing one of the following options:
A. Online Payment: Netbanking through the payment gateway.
B. Challan Payment: Payment by cash at any branch of Canara Bank or State Bank of India.
7. If I want the Online Payment (Netbanking) option, how should I complete the application process?
After filling all the fields in the ONLINE application form, choose Online Payment option and proceed for payment by following the instructions.
A. Your browser screen will re-directed to the bank you choose. Login with your internet banking credentials and confirm the payment.
B. After confirming the payment, you will be re-directed back to GATE application website.
C. At the end of this process, a PDF file will be generated with the following pages:
i. Page 1: Instructions and Address slip (of where you need to send the hard copy) to be pasted on an A4 sized envelope
ii. Page 2-3: Two copies (one for you one to be sent to GATE office) of application form with bottom part showing certificate to be signed by principal. One copy for the candidate and another to be sent to GATE office.
D. Take a print out of the entire file and follow instructions in link How to apply? to complete the application process.
8. I want to pay online by my credit/debit card, but I don’t see that option!
You can only use internet banking (netbanking) facilities for online payment. Credit /debit cards will not be accepted.
9. My power/internet connection failed during online payment. What do I do ?
When you can get back online, first check the status of your payment on the GATE application website.
A. If the payment was received by GATE, you can continue the process of printing the application form.
B. If the payment was not received by GATE, you have to start with the payment step again (choice of Online or Chalan), to complete payment.
10. My netbanking account has been debited (money taken out) more than once. How do I get the money back ?
This can happen if your bank account was used more than once or you pressed refresh or back/forward button of your internet browser. Please check your bank account after 48 hours. Any unaccounted or excess money that was received on behalf of GATE 2013 from this account will automatically be returned back (credited) to the same bank account.
11. My bank account has been debited (money taken out), but GATE Application website says that the payment has not been received. What do I do?
This happened because of some failure in internet transactions (including failure of internet connection at your end). As soon as possible, you MUST initiate a fresh payment process on the GATE application website, and make the payment again. The money that was debited (taken out) from your account the first time, will be credited (put back) to your bank account within 48 hours. You will be charged only once. Any excess/unaccounted debits will be returned to you.
12. If I want the Bank Challan option, how should I complete the application process? After filling in all the fields in the ONLINE application form, choose Bank Challan option and proceed for payment by following the instructions.
A. At the end of this process, a PDF file will be generated with the following pages:
i. Page 1: Instructions and Address slip where you need to send hard copy.
ii. Page 2-3: Two copies (one for you one to be sent to GATE office) of application form with bottom part showing certificate to be signed by principal.
iii. Page 4: page for candidates who select “bank challan” way of payment (as against the net banking). This page will contain 3 copies of challan.
B. Take a print out of the entire file and follow instructions in link How to apply? to complete the application process.
13. Do I have to send the printout of the application form?
YES. At the end of the Application process a PDF file of the application is generated. You have to affix your photograph, signature and enclose other documents along with this print out and send to the concerned GATE office. This is REQUIRED in addition to the uploading of the image files.
14. I have attached the documents online, do I have to send the hard copy as well ?
No, you need not submit the hard copy of supporting documents to GATE office.
15. Should I attest the photograph for application form?
NO. Photographs must not be attested application form or uploading. You must bring a valid photo ID card to the examination center.
16. When and how will I know the status of my application?
You can check the status of your application by logging in at the GATE Online Applicant website.
17. After completing the ONLINE application process and generating a PDF file, will I be able to change my application data?
NO. After completing all the steps upto PDF application form generation in ONLINE application process, you can only download the application form and cannot modify the data. Hence you need to be very careful while entering the data. You may also save a partially filled application and login in again at a later point in time to complete and submit the application.
18. I have missed to take a print of my ONLINE application at the end of my application process. How will I get access to it?
You can login using Login id (email) and password you had set up and take a printout.
1. When will I receive my admit card?
Admit card can only be downloaded from the zonal GATE websites from 5th December 2012. Sending Admit cards by post has been discontinued.
2. Is the Admit card alone sufficient to gain entry to the exam?
No. Bring the admit card at the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied / scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification. ONLY one of the following photo identifications is permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, College ID, Employee identification card, or a notarized Affidavit with Photo, Signature, Date of Birth and Residential Address. Photocopies of the original identification document are not acceptable. Candidates will not be permitted to take the test if original and valid photo identification is not presented.