Applicants should have ITI in any one of the following trades: Instrument Mechanic, Electronics Mechanic, Mechanic Radio and TV, Wireman, Tractor Mechanic, Fitter, Electrician, Motor Vehicle Mechanic, Diesel Mechanic Heat Engine, Turner, Machinist, ITI in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning. Candidates should have secured the qualification under 10+ 2 pattern. Candidates with Diploma in Automobile Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering/ Electrical Engineering or Electronics Engineering also can apply.
The selection process consists of two stages
1. Written Examination
2. Psychological Test
How to prepare:
The written examination is conducted by R.R.B. on the same date all over India. It is an objective type test containing 120 multiple choice questions with duration of 90 minutes. There is a negative marking of One-third of a mark for every wrong answer.
Analyzing the previous question papers, relative weightage of the following topics are
1. General English (15 Q)
2. Arithmetic (15 Q)
3. Reasoning (15Q)
4. General Awareness (80 Q)
5. Technical subject (55 Q)
synonyms, Antonyms, Articles, prepositions, fill in the blanks, common errors, and comprehension of a passage, idioms and phrases, one word substitution, spelling mistakes etc.
Arithmetic or Elementary Mathematics:
simplification based on four elementary operations addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fraction , decimal, “BODMAS” rule, LCM, HCF, percentage profit and loss Time and work, time and distance, Ratio and proportion, square and square root , cube and cube root, area and volume of geometrical figures, average, partnership, calendar, clocks etc. To some extent Algebra, set theory, trigonometry, functions relations, statistics make through in the question paper.
Reasoning Ability (or) General Intelligence:
Most of the questions come from verbal sections but in some cases R.R.B tend to ask questions from both verbal and non-verbal sections. The topics like letter/ number/ symbol series, analogy, classifications (or add man out) coding decoding, Distance and direction test, Blood relations, puzzle test, ranking & arrangement logical diagram, alphabet test, finding missing number, Arithmetical Reasoning, Mathematical operations and non-verbal topics like reasoning pertaining to analogy, series classification will be asked.
Test paper include questions relating to history, world and Indian geography, Indian polity, General Science, Health and Physiology, Stock G.K, Current event of national and International importance computer and information technology.
Technical Subject (55Q):
- History: In Indian history questions usually come from ancient medieval modern and national movement.
- World & Indian Geography: Universe, Earth, Continents, Oceans, Rivers, Soils, Minerals Transport system, population, Forests, Agriculture etc.,
- Polity: Making of constitution, executive, judiciary, Articles, Amendments, centre and state relations constitutional and extra constitutional commissions etc.
- General Science: It consists of physics, chemistry, Biology, and Zoology and Human physiology, Diseases, useful plants, useful animals and some questions from science and technology, defence, Space, Atomic energy etc.
- Stock General Technology: Firsts in India and world, important monuments, Boundaries, National Emblems, UNO, Scientific Research centers in India, Defense institutions, Games and sports, Nick names, Awards & Honours, famous stadiums, book & authors, Games and sports etc.
- Economy: National Income, Terminology (GDP, GNP, Inflation, Budget) unemployment, poetry, Industry, Government programmers like National Rural employment programmes , Bharat Nirman, Food for work, Taxes, Finance commissions.
- Current Events: Current events of previous year from the date of exams mainly the questions asked from Books and authors, chair persons of finance commission Human rights common RBI governor, Heads of States, Awards like Dadasaheb, Bharat Ratna, Dhronacharya, Booker’ Prize, games and sports like Wimbledon Olympics, Tennis, National games etc.
The general break-up of technical questions are as follows
1) Mechanical Engg (30Q)
2) Electrical Engg (20Q)
3) Basic Electronic Energy (5Q)
State -2 (Psychological Test):
- Mechanical Engineering: Questions may come from the following topics: Engg mechanics, Strength of Materials, Design, Productions, Technology, Thermodynamics, I.C. Engines, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Fluid Mechanics, Machinery.
- Electrical Engineering: Questions may come from the following topics: Atomic structure, voltage, current, resistance and their units, ohms law, specific resistance, capacitors, series and parallel connections, Magnetism, principles of motors, transformers, generators, R.L.C. Gravity, Measuring Instruments.
- Electronics: Questions relate to deals conduction of electricity through to gases (or) vacuum, electrons, conductors, semiconductors, and insulator etc.
Psychological test is for candidates who clear the written examination. The test includes psychological aptitude test, usually memory test, following direction test, concentration test, Brick test, digit search test, similarity test etc.
Stage-3 (Medical Fitness Test):
The candidates recommended for appointment would have to pass requisite medical fitness tests conducted by the Railway administration.
Final selection: The final selection will be based on the total marks obtained in the written examination and psychological test.
Previously asked questions from different Boards:
- What is the time period of a second’s pendulum? [RRB (Sec) 2010]
a) 1 sec b) 2 sec c) 3 Sec d) 4 sec
- What is the kinetic energy of a body of mass (m) and its velocity (v) [RRB (Sec) 2010]
a) 1/2mv2 b) mv2 c) 1/3 mv2 d) mv2/4
- The frequency of a body is ‘f’ its time [RRB (Sec) 2010]
a) 2f b) 1/f c) 3f d) f2
- Which force acts in a centrifuge? [RRB (Sec) 2010]
a) Shear force b) centripetal force c) Centrifugal force d) None
- Which one of the following are speculations of cathe? [RRB (Chennai) 2010]
a) distance b/w two centres b) Height of centre from bed
c) swing diameter of check d) all the above
- Type of brakes generally used in Railways? [RRB (Bangalore) 2010]
a) Shoe brake b) band brade c) centrifugal brake d) None
- The ratio of stress to strain is known as [RRB (Chennai) 2010]
a) Poisson’s ratio b) Modulus of elasticity c) Modules of rigidity d) None
- The ratio of mechanical advantage to velocity ratio [RRB (Chennai) 2010]
a) Efficiency of the mechanic b) shear stress c) Young’s modeling d) all the above
- The units of Acceleration due to gravity (g-9.81m/sec) in cm/sec2 [RRB (Chennai) 2010]
a) 0.981 b) 981 c) 98.1 d) 0.0981
- The centre of gravity of a triangle IS located at _____ [RRB (Chennai) 2010]
a) ¼ of height from base b) Intersection point of the medians
c) 1/5 of height from base d) none
- A body falls from a height ‘h’ what is the velocity with which the body reaches the grounds. [RRB (Chennai) 2010]
a) 2gh b)
- What is the cutting angle of a drill? [RRB (Bangalore) 2010]
a) 100 b) 118 c) 150 d) 96
- Red Blood Corpuscles (RBC) are formed in [RRB (Bangalore) 2010]
a) Kidney b) Bone Marrow c) Liver d) lungs
- The remains of Vijayanagara Empire [RRB (Bangalore) 2010]
a) Baroda b) Bijapur c) Golkonda d) Hampi
- In a certain code BOXER is corittem as AQWGQ how is VISIT written in that code
a) UKRKU b) UKRKS c) WKRKS d) WKRKU
- The ore of aluminum metal is
a) cuprites b) galyak c) bauxite d) None
- If x-1/x = 2 these value of x4+1/x4 is equal to
a) 4 b) 8 c) 12 d) 34
- The length of the longest pole that can be kept inside a room 3m 4m 12 m is
a) 19 m b) 19/3m c) 12 m d) 13 m
- Tesla is the unit of
a) Flux b) Field strength c) Flux density d) None
- Tow bulbs are marked 100w/220w and 60w/220w which has lighter resistance
a) 100w bulb b) 60 w bulb c) both have same d) None